J st. pier night time advice

Discussion in 'Surf, piers, & jetties' started by opie4386, Sep 9, 2010.

1. opie4386

opie4386 New Member

hey guys i might be going to the pier with a couple of friends and i need some advice with my setup. usually i use a bottom fishing rig with some squid with no luck. Im hoping to change that im going to go with a C-rig and some gulp 3" swimming mullet bait in light orange (bag sais "glow") that i happen to like. should i use a 1/4 ounce weight or 1/2? i will most likely be using a number 6 hook although i get the feeling it might be a bit small. its all on a 10# spiderwire with a medium action spining rod. it will be at night around 9ish 10 and am trying to catch some bass although just about anything else that swims would be fine. any suggestions?changes? the friends i will be going with are probably more lost than i am so any help would be appreciated
  2. AlwazeFishing

AlwazeFishing New Member

I don't know a whole lot about that pier little long at night time but would enjoy for you to get some fish at night and to here back from you. If you want a good spot to night fish at I got one for you and yor friends to try over at mb.

PM me if interested If not hope you get on some fish either way
  3. dj thrillz

dj thrillz SDFish VIP

the gulp swimming mullets should reward you with something. espescially the 4" camo color. soaking squid is like watching paint dry off a pier. smaller grubs, any gulp product, and live ghost shrimp work best down there. there are many better places to hit up other than j st pier at night. plus they close that lot at 10:30 if i remember right. if you got a fishing license, walk up and down harbor dr and run into plenty of action, espescially by the wsb pins. go to harbor island off the rocks.... its rare i dont catch fish there. i fished for all of 20 minutes earlier and wound up with 3 bass... i wasnt even planning on fishing, i was just there to sell some baits! couldnt help myself lol.
  4. Rayhawk

Rayhawk New Member

I agree with DJ. Their are better places to fish than J street. If you want to fish on a pier, try Coronado Ferry landing. If you have a License, fish along the rocks south of the pier. Nice bass and an occasional Corvina will hammer swimbaits.

If your set on J street, plenty of sharks at night. Im sure if you throw swimbaits, bass wll hit. Let us know how it goes. Never know, that pier just might be the next secret spot.
  5. redlance123

redlance123 New Member

My advise is to take a club there at night. A nice big nine iron, and not for the fish! Seriously, I've take a few fish off the jetty opposite of the pier, including some bonefish, believe it or not! There are better places to fish at night though. Redlance123
  6. dj thrillz

dj thrillz SDFish VIP

yes there are bonefish that roam through there, mucho fun on 4lb test! that area hasnt been too bad lately at night, you could leave the 9 iron at home, however i would bring a couple clubs to the embarcadero at night lol.
  7. Fishing_Turd

Fishing_Turd New Member

**** the golf clubs, .40 CAL GLOCK!
  8. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

California law says it's legal! I just wouldn't trust the donut eaters to know that...
  9. opie4386

opie4386 New Member

hey thanks everyone for the positive support. Me and my friends (co workers) are going as a group and j st just happens to be the closest. I will definently be going to mission bay next sunday and i will be sure to update with a review and hopefully with pic's
  10. squidder

squidder New Member

11. Mannyman_sd

Mannyman_sd New Member

Fished off the jetty there this afternoon. Fished a Big Hammer 3' Halloween swimbait. I couldn't keep the bass off the line. Always catch the most fish there on an out going tide. Most where on the small side, but a few legal size ones too.
  12. GTSCHOLAR619

GTSCHOLAR619 New Member

J street pier is a joke...I live down south and the closest piers to me for saltwater is IB and J st. All the times I had time to fish and pass by that place it sucked. I tried all my tricks of the trade only to come up with a bonefish or two, bonita that cruises through and and ocassional bass. But ive been skunked there and tried all the spots around it. No action on that pier you will just be wasting your time. There of tons of other piers to go to than that one. It all depends on what type of fish you are aiming for and what your setup targets. If you just want to catch something and it doesnt matter what the options are endless depending if you have a license or not. Then that limits you. I fish allot and pretty consistant and always end up with mostly something nomatter where. But J street? I dont even know why they put a pier there...what a joke..lol you will have a better time any pier but there.
  13. Chief1

Chief1 New Member

I live literally a couple streets away from the pier n straight up its a hit or miss>
  14. dj thrillz

dj thrillz SDFish VIP

i used to be a pier fisherman, hopping from spot to spot every weekend. J st. will produce, from time to time. when that is is very hard to tell. i will say it was the slowest out of all the piers i have fished off of, but when the light was turned on it did produce some nice fish including bonefish, cuda, bonito, and corvina, plus your normal bass. fishing there early in the morning is prolly best, and night time is just a waste of time(imo).
    shelter island and ocean beach pier have produced the most fish, and the most different species.
    if you are going to stick to j st, bring ghost shrimp if you want frequent hits. plastics will work just make sure there is movement in the water, i prefer incoming tides.
  15. Reefer

Reefer New Member

[​IMG]

Like they said Coronado Ferry landing, i have had very good luck there on Kalin's Scampi 5-Inch Lure and swimbaits. Wait until the ferry stop running then get as close to the landing.Start fishing Good luck
  16. Reefer

Reefer New Member

[​IMG]
    this was at Shelter Island beach using scampi lure and Bass Assassin Lures
  17. buddha

buddha Well-Known Member

Why are you keeping spotties?
  18. TheHegemon

TheHegemon Member

Yeah, not to start yet another C&R/keep flame thread, but there is probably enough mercury in one of those fish to give you a very bad time much less 7 of those buggers. Plus, spotties are definitely not the tastiest fish around.

They are game fish, not for food.