La Jolla Shores

Discussion in 'Surf, piers, & jetties' started by woodhop619, Aug 3, 2013.

1. woodhop619

woodhop619 New Member

I know its illegal to surf fish at La Jolla Shores but I've been told fishing by the scripts pier was allowed and I've fished there for the last ten years and just recently I've been beinh told I can't fish there at all. Can someone please clarify where I can and can't surf fish over there.
  2. Rippinlips

Rippinlips Well-Known Member

I was told you can fish north of the pier....but only for baitfish. No game fish because it is a preserve area. Basically La Jolla is off limits from the shore...but ok in a kayak just beyond the surfers
  3. old_rookie

old_rookie Staff Member

You need to be further north from the pier to be out of the MLPA.
  4. woodhop619

woodhop619 New Member

Well that's a shame, its some really good fishing over there. Thanks for the info though.
  5. carpkiller

carpkiller SDFish VIP

There are four species for which you can fish in the MLPA. However, the rules are so poorly written that authorities will pretty much run you out as if no fishing were allowed. This time, the terrorists won.
  6. woodhop619

woodhop619 New Member

Where does it say there are four species you can fish for? And what are they? Just curious, probably not going there anytime soon cause I can't really afford a fine haha
  7. old_rookie

old_rookie Staff Member

this is the area: <a class="postlink" href="https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=47797&inline=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx ... nline=true</a>

It is a SMCA area which means:
    Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only, and take pursuant to operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

costal pelagic species:
    Coastal pelagic species (Title 14 Section 1.39), as defined for purposes of MPA regulations, include the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus) and market squid (Loligo opalescens).

So, you can go there to get bait fish, but to fish for barred surf perch, corbina, YFC is not allowed.

This is my interpretation of the rules.
  8. carpkiller

carpkiller SDFish VIP

I regularly fish that area, targeting mackerel. There is one lifeguard who is a government-certified mind reader; I don't fish when she's working. The rest of the time, I fish for mackerel, and the other lifeguards are unable to tell which species I am targeting, so they allow me to fish there. This is absolutely true, except for the mind-reading part.