Lower Otay Monster Bluegill Personal Best

Discussion in 'Freshwater reports' started by ZoGemini569, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ZoGemini569

ZoGemini569 Active Member

Caught this 1.24 lb Monster Bluegill @ Lower Otay today. I was fishing for crappie with a slip bobber rig down about 15ft with vicious 4lb test line. I was using a chartruese & brown grub on a jig head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visit My Facebook Group "San Diego Float Tuber's" & Post Some Of Your Tube'n Outings.
  2. fisheromen

fisheromen Staff Member SDFish VIP

That is a fatty! Nice scale!
  3. ZoGemini569

I got it when I saw your post awhile back. I still have to do the modification to it like you did. Hopefully I can have a good future of heavy weighing fish to come.

Visit My Facebook Group "San Diego Float Tuber's" & Post Some Of Your Tube'n Outings.
  4. III

III Well-Known Member

Nice gillie Zo! Did you cook it up already?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  5. ZoGemini569

Not yet !! But he's all cleaned up already ;-):mrgreen:. Gonna cook em'up tonite when I get home from a hard day of work & watch some "March Madness" college hoops :cool:. I've got some new coconut oil from costco waiting on em' (Umm Umm Umm Good!) :p

6. fisheromen

fisheromen Staff Member SDFish VIP

Seems I sold a bunch of those cheap scales! Mine has not failed yet!

How are you liking your Cumberland? I really like mine. Thinking of making a cordless-drill prop-drive for mine.
  7. ZoGemini569

I'm very pleased with my cumberland floattube. No complaints at all. I saw a gentleman with a Cumberland floattube in the San Diego Bay using a drill with a minn kota trolling motor prop. He was getting around very fast with that (DIY) creation. He was just using it for when he was coming back in not to get tired peddling against a strong current. Good creative idea.

8. Christopher01

Christopher01 Active Member

I love those gills at Otay, nice catch! Last year in April/May time frame I was catching a couple slightly smaller models (1 lb) on crankbaits while targeting bass. For every 3 or 4 bass that bit I'd hook into a gill. Everytime my glass rod loaded up with one of those gills I thought I had a 5+ pound bass. They fight like crazy and move through the water like draging a parachute. Always a good time, great post.
  9. dakicka

dakicka Well-Known Member

Nice work! Did you flyline it out there after to try to get a 10 lb bass? haha.
  10. Str8t Slabaronies

Str8t Slabaronies Well-Known Member

Very Nice "Bullgill" as I like to call them.

Otay is full of them and even bigger models (2lbs +). As they get even bigger...their face kinda gets swallowed up with their body....they get funny looking.

[​IMG]

Pound for pound...they fight harder than any freshwater fish out there.

How did you do on the crappies?

I was doing ok 2 months ago but moved on to other lakes...but thinking bout going back.