Spy Fishing Technique

Discussion in 'Tackle, gear, & events' started by ObeyJulian, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ObeyJulian

ObeyJulian New Member

Hey guys i was just wondering if anyone has tried this new spy fishing technique? how it works? or even how to fish the lures? I wanted to buy a lure and they are about $12 retail so before i get one just wondering if anyone has had some luck?

THANKS ALL!

-Julian :D

DUOSPIN-GHG-1.jpg
  2. SWW

SWW Active Member

Youtube it.....tons of info on that subject! :wink:
  3. ObeyJulian

ObeyJulian New Member

well i guess this forum is useless then ill just subscribe to youtube. :cry: :wink:

I guess i was just looking for more of an opinion from you guys if you had any personal experience with the baits. Iv seen the videos just wondering.
  4. Kellen

Kellen Staff Member

I haven't fished those yet, but they look intriguing enough. Generally stuff that comes over from Japan translates well to Southern California. Like anything else on the walls at the tackle store, there is a time and a place for it.
  5. fisheromen

fisheromen SDFish VIP

Nothing new there. That style of lure has been around a long time and can be productive, at times.
  6. Fishbreath

Fishbreath SDFish VIP

The Smithwick Devil's Toothpick was already around when I started bass fishing in the late 1940's.
    [​IMG]
  7. Kellen

Kellen Staff Member

Its probably not what you're thinking. Its not a topwater prop bait, or jerkbait even. Its designed to be fished just above the bottom or infront of suspended, schooling bass.

The main struggle people will have fishing this bait is fishing it effectively without snagging it on the bottom.

Here is a good video showing how its designed to be fished.

[youtube]gOpBKi9788Q[/youtube]
  8. Kellen

Kellen Staff Member

Nothing like these spy-baits were around back then. Almost all fishing lures back then were carved from wood, which obviously floats. They added bills to make their plugs dive to different depths.

These sink, and are meant to be fished with a steady retrieve. Some of the Japanese lure makers had stuff similar to this within the last ten years or so, but were designed to be twitched or jerked. Jackal had one I liked.

Thats essentially what these spun off of, but they added the blades and a side-to-side wobble action to give them action when fished on a slow, steady retrieve.
  9. ObeyJulian

ObeyJulian New Member

wow thanks for all the info guys! :D
  10. Moose

Moose Moderator Staff Member Site Sponsor

Have tried it a few times so far but no luck. I haven't given it a lot of time yet but still looking for the first bite on it. They do look good in the water though.
  11. avid_basser

avid_basser Active Member

I recently bought some of the Realis Spinbait 80's designed for this as shown above and in the video. It hasn't produced for me YET. I have a feeling this technique will be on point when the water temps dip down into the 50's.

You cast this bait, let it sink to the desired depth, then slow roll it back. The Spinbait is an awesome bait but not a "magic" lure. Right time, right place, right presentation is key.

-AJ
  12. ObeyJulian

ObeyJulian New Member

:D Thanks for all the info guys! FISH ON!