yellowtail rig set up? help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing & Reports' started by CanadianBacon, May 24, 2010.

1. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon New Member

I am new to fishing for yellows. I had a friend hook up on one today with 25# mono and broke off. That is what I have on my reel right now. I was wondering what i should put on my reel. I have a 7'6 medium to heavy with a shimano speedmaster. any help with what i should use for line would be greatly appreciated
  2. bassgalrascal

bassgalrascal New Member

I have caught quite a few yellowtail on 20 pound test. You just need to have good quality line, a smooth drag that's set right and the proper technique for getting them in. Soft Steel, Izor or Ande Premium all come to mind for good strong lines. If you are throwing big jigs, you could go with 30 lb, but live bait takes lighter line.
  3. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon New Member

are there any benefits to using a braid with a topshot? how do you want your drag set? sorry if these are stupid questions. thank you for the reply.
  4. AlwazeFishing

AlwazeFishing New Member

Topshot and braid is more for fishing kelp.

My first yellow was 18 lbs and was landed on 15 lb test and my freshwater 7' medium bass d/s rod. But I had a quatum cabo reel.

Like fisheromen sasid just have a good real. Last trip I got a yellow at 15 and 20 lbs both on 20 lb test. again just have a good real.
  5. bassgalrascal

bassgalrascal New Member

You set your drag to about one third the breaking test of your line. So if you have 20 lb test, you'd want it set to about 7 pounds. You can set it up by using a scale tied to the end of your line to check where the drag is starting to let the line play out. After awhile, you kind of know how much drag to set up for your line just by feel. just have somebody hold onto the scale for you, while you haul back on the rod.
  6. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon New Member

thanks guys that helps me a lot! congrats man on those two yellows. i read your post on them. i cant wait to get me first one.
  7. AlwazeFishing

AlwazeFishing New Member

Thanks man!!! They are fun but you need a good boat and I was on one. That day the san diego, or new seaforth,dolphin,malihini, pointloma,or dailydouble. Any other 1/2 day or 3/4 day boat didn't do as well as we did that day. And The reason I got myne was because The captain/crew new what to look for and put us on good yellows.
  8. Finadic

Finadic Member

KNOWmatter,what-when-where?,
    FRESH LINE is allways a SELF-CONFIDENCE builder.
    Limit's are PRE-SET!
  9. ericedb

ericedb New Member

Don't forget to make sure your knots are good. A breakoff on 25 lb. test shouldn't happen. Usually your drag isn't greater than 8-15 lbs. maxed out. Fresh line and good knots are key.

I like braid to a short floro leader. If you get kelped you have a great chance of popping the fish out. Sportboat captains don't like braid on their boats but if it helps you land a fish, go for it. I typically use 30 lb. Seaguar premier as my topshot and I can really put the wood to those yellows without breaking off.
  10. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

The Kelp cutter set up is a good all around set up. Exspensjve initially though. Captains used to not like braid due to tangles I imagine that is long gone by now